Have you ever wished you could have your very own personal thermostat?
Just imagine! No more fighting with your partner over the air conditioning being too cold or getting too hot at a sporting event.
While it sounds like wishful thinking, it turns out this technology from MIT students could be a game changer for body temperature control and relief from hot flashes. Over the past few weeks, our team here at Sleeping.com decided to try out one of the newest advancements in personal comfort, the Embr Wave 2!
The Embr Wave 2 caught our eye thanks to its unique approach to managing hot flashes and other temperature-related discomforts such as night sweats and chills. It is small enough to be worn on your wrist and offers the ability to cool down or warm up at the touch of a button.
Does The Embr Wave 2 Really Work?
In short: Absolutely, it works!
The concept behind the Wave really intrigued us, as we know that body temperature has a huge impact on health and wellness, including your ability to enjoy the healing powers of deep restorative sleep. As sleep health enthusiasts, we wanted to know if the watch-sized heating and cooling unit could truly combat the negative effects of temperature changes, even at night.
Our Team Tried It For Three Weeks, and Here’s Our Verdict
For a solid three weeks, we dove headfirst into the Embr Wave 2 experience. It’s been great for bedtime rituals and staying chill at the gym (and even surviving a tiny magnet mishap). We’ve got the full scoop for you! Let’s dive into our comprehensive Embr Wave 2 review!
The Bottom Line
Embr Wave 2, developed by MIT students, uses temperature-controlled waves via wrist stimulation for personalized comfort and relaxation. And it actually works.
Our team is quite impressed with the technology and found the Wave 2 to be helpful in reducing stress, regulating temperature fluctuations, and fending off night sweats. We will continue using and testing it to provide a six-month update later down the line.
People Are Finding Real Relief with The Embr Wave 2!
Look at these reviews from real comments on Facebook:
Key Takeaways After Reviewing The Embr Wave 2
We’ll dive into everything you need to know about the Embr Wave 2 in a moment, but if you’re short on time, here are the highlights:
- Overall, it works! Our team enjoyed using this device. It does what it advertises and seems to genuinely cool down and warm up your body.
- We were especially impressed with the Embr Wave’s ability to take the edge off during those summer night hot flashes. The warm setting is quite nice while winding down for bedtime, and we found the thermal sessions to be very helpful for reducing stress and relieving anxiety during the workday.
- The companion app is very useful and functional, but we would like more detailed customization options. It connects quickly and has helpful guides and pointers on how to use your Wave 2. The app also tracks your usage and plots it over daily and weekly charts if you’re curious about your patterns of temperature fluctuation.
- The Wave 2 is only a temperature-regulating device. It does not tell time or track any other meaningful health metrics, so it shouldn’t be purchased as a replacement for a smartwatch or health-tracking wearable.
- The battery life is incredibly impressive on the Wave 2. You can easily go 2 or more days without charging it with moderate use. Even after using the all-night cooling function, the battery is usually around 50% and almost always lasts the rest of the day. Recharge time was always under 2 hours.
- As with most gadgets, our biggest concern would have to be the cost. The Embr Wave 2 retails for $299. If you regularly struggle to regulate your temperature, are searching for hot flash relief, or experiences anxiety on a regular basis, the Embr Wave 2 could be worth the price. If you’re looking for a personal AC unit or heater for more extreme needs, you’ll likely be dissatisfied with the Wave 2.
- Although we don’t think the effect is strong enough to actually replace air conditioning, the Wave 2 does seem to help keep body temperature fluctuations in check or will at least take the edge off in more extreme situations.
What Is the Embr Wave 2?
Initially designed by three MIT students, the Embr Wave 2 symbolizes an exciting new frontier in personal comfort technology.
The Wave 2 is a natural heating and cooling device in the shape of a smartwatch, which you wear on the temperature-sensitive underside of the wrist. The device applies heat or cold to the skin, which then stimulates the nerves in your arm and tells your body to warm up or cool off.
While the Wave 2 has largely been marketed towards menopausal women, the patented technology is suitable for anyone who works in a cold office, spends time outdoors, or struggles to get comfortable at night.
This concept made quite a splash when the prototype was first announced back in 2013. The idea first came to MIT students Matt Smith, Ph.D., David Cohen-Tanugi, Ph.D., and Sam Shames after spending the day at the school’s renowned Material Science lab.
It has since been through multiple rounds of testing and a series of impressive design improvements. Studies show that the Embr Wave 2 makes it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep, despite hot flashes. Researchers have also found that it can have a significant impact on comfort levels during the day.
Key Features of the Embr Wave 2
- Looks Great: The Embr Wave 2 is about the size of a smartwatch, plus it comes in black and rose gold with a high-quality band. It’s easy to wear, blends in with other accessories, and looks like any other watch or fitness tracker.
- Produces Waves of Comfort: The Wave 2 gives you maximum relief for hot flashes, night sweats, chills, anxiety, insomnia, and other temperature-related issues. It is designed to instantly deliver comfort in the form of temperature-controlled waves, conveniently called Waveforms. This unique sensation immediately triggers your brain, instructing your body to warm up or cool down.
- Natural Temperature Control: While some people prefer to manage their hot flashes with medication, the Wave offers a completely natural approach to temperature control! It uses temperature sensations to help you find relief and gain comfort. The device harnesses your body’s natural response to temperature in a precise way, providing relief when you need it at the press of a button.
- Easy Access Hot/Cold Buttons: The device is designed to be controlled with ease. The side placement of buttons and lights allows you to make adjustments to your Wave anytime and anywhere.
- Customizable With the Embr Wave App: You can unlock your device’s full potential on the Embr Wave 2 app! Once you pair your phone via Bluetooth, you are ready to personalize your heating and cooling experience with a series of thermal sessions and temperature intensities.
- Water Resistant: No one likes the feeling of trying to wash your hands while keeping your watch or electronic device out of harm’s way. That’s why we love that Embr’s Wave 2 is water-resistant! While you definitely shouldn’t take your Wave into the bathtub, pool, or shower, you can still wash your hands or do dishes. That said, and given the price of the device, we elected to remove the Wave when water was even a remote possibility just to stay on the safe side!
- New and Improved Version: As the name suggests, Wave 2 is the second, more advanced version of Embr’s first product, the Wave. According to their website, the newest design is sleeker, lighter, more effective, has better battery life, and is generally more comfortable compared to its predecessor.
- Price: The Wave 2 is available in two colors, Rose Gold and Black, and it’s currently priced at $299, down from its regular price of $349.
Benefits of the Embr Wave 2
- Takes the Edge Off Temperature Changes: Full transparency, this device won’t be replacing your AC unit, but it is perfect for getting cozy before bed, cooling off at night, warming up in cold movie theaters, and keeping the sweat at bay in stuffy offices.
- Calms and Comforts With Temperature Therapy: We found that alternating between warm and cool thermal sessions was incredibly helpful for relieving anxiety and reducing stress. The Wave’s heat settings were also perfect for helping us to create a cozy bedtime routine.
- Personalized Settings: Through the Embr Wave 2 app, you can enjoy personalized thermal sessions designed to meet your exact level of need, whether it be a short burst of gentle warmth to soothe anxiety or an intense cold that cools your entire body while you sleep.
- Quick Access: The buttons found on the device make it easy to quickly make adjustments to your temperature settings. Additionally, you can assign your favorites to buttons for quick access.
- Stylish: Like many wearable devices, the newest Embr Wave comes in metallic black and rose gold. It features a well-made mesh-style metal wristband. However, the band can be replaced by a vegan leather option or a woven nylon version, which must be purchased separately.
- Tracks Your Patterns: Over time, this device is designed to provide wellness insights via the Embr Wave 2 app. This information gives you a full picture of how and why you’re using the Wave and helps you better understand your body’s needs and patterns.
- Splash Resistant: If you’re wearing any kind of electronic device on your wrist, you’re going to want it to be water-resistant. With the Wave 2, you are free to wash your hands, make dinner, or even wash dishes!
- Impressive Battery Life: Depending on the temperature and intensity, your wave can last anywhere between 3 to 15 hours, and it can be fully charged within 2 hours.
- Backed By Science: As we mentioned earlier, studies have shown that the Embr Wave 2 truly does improve hot flashes and other temperature-related discomforts. The device seems to be particularly impactful for improving sleep, with one study finding that those who used the device fell asleep faster and stayed asleep longer.
Drawbacks of the Embr Wave 2
- Cost: Our first and most notable concern is cost. $299 is a steep price to pay for any gadget that does just one thing, even if it does that job well. Ultimately, most of our team agreed that the Embr Wave 2 is a really cool device, but unless you experience regular hot flashes or have some other condition that makes you temperature sensitive, it may not be worth the added cost.
- Magnetic Closure Is Not Suitable for Everyone: Technically, this “con” only applies to the standard metal mesh band and the vegan leather band. While the magnetic closure ensures that your Wave is easy to put on and take off, magnets are not suitable for people with certain medical devices, such as pacemakers.
- Connectivity Issues May Impact Use: At one point, one of our team members experienced an issue with her Wave’s ability to connect to the app via Bluetooth. While she was still able to use the device using the buttons, she temporarily could not access pre-planned thermal sessions. However, this issue was easily resolved with troubleshooting steps accessed through the Embr Wave 2 App.
- Cannot Improve Drastic Temperature Changes: While the Wave is perfect for avoiding mild to moderate temperature issues, it should not be expected to prevent hypothermia, and it cannot fully cool you down after a workout or while in the hot summer sun.
- Temperatures May Feel Too Hot/Cold: We noticed that the Wave 2 gets surprisingly hot/cold for such a compact device. One of our reviewers was unable to use the heat setting beyond a 4 or 5 because it began to feel like touching a hot oven. Meanwhile, the cold setting had a tendency to feel ice cold and even borderline electric for some testers, too. So, be sure to use caution when adjusting your temperature settings. It may be helpful to start at lower settings and make slow changes rather than quick, drastic ones.
- Waveform Thermal Delivery Cannot Be Turned Off: While Embr’s wave-like temperature pulses are great for encouraging your body to cool off or warm up, it would be nice to have the option to have something consistently warm or cold. Unfortunately, it seems it is not yet an option.
Our Review of the Embr Wave 2
Each person on our team truly enjoyed their experience with the Embr Wave 2, and we plan to continue wearing the device for the foreseeable future. It is quite comfortable and well-made. Each tester agreed that the Wave reduced stress and anxiety by simply providing thermal stimulation.
And above all, it does what it needs to do in terms of cooling you off or warming you up, but you should not expect it to provide drastic relief in extreme temperatures. While we do have concerns regarding cost, we feel as though it is worth the money if you can swing it, especially if you are experiencing menopause or some other condition that causes temperature sensitivity.
Packaging, Materials, and Quality
Upon first look, the packaging is nice. While it doesn’t go above and beyond to wow you, it seems like a product from a competent and confident manufacturer. It is exactly what you would expect to see with a personal care device that is being sold at this price point.
We do want to give you a heads-up regarding the magnet-style closure that is included with the metal mesh and leather bands. Be sure to use caution! While this powerful magnet makes the Wave 2 a breeze to put on, adjust, and take off, one of our team members experienced a bit of a mishap while showing off the design over a Zoom meeting. The magnet on the Wave 2 made contact with the lid-closure magnet on his laptop, which resulted in his workstation totally shutting down for a few seconds because the laptop thought its lid was closed.
From Our Reviewers— “The first thing that really stuck out to me was actually the wristband. The mesh is incredibly fluid-feeling and breathable, and the magnetic clasp is simple and effective, though it does tend to get stuck to itself from time to time.
The device itself is very clean, well-machined, and feels like a quality device. It’s got a good weight to it and doesn’t feel cheap or gimmicky. The surface is smooth and feels good on the skin, and the buttons on the side of the device are satisfying to press and have just the right amount of resistance.”
We were very impressed by how quickly the device responded to the cold setting. It became incredibly cold in under three minutes. Some of us felt as though we had just taken an ice cube out of the freezer and held it to our skin. But if you keep it on the low end, it simply feels like a nice, comfortable, cooling feeling.
While one of our reviewers tried the all-night cooling function and loved it, others used it only intermittently at night to relieve hot flashes and night sweats. Each of us found it to be effective at keeping us comfortable, whether it be for all night or just for an hour or so in the middle of the night.
From Our Reviewers— “While it’s no substitute for A/C, the cold function absolutely works to take the edge off of a hot flash or even keep sweat at bay while lounging outside. It’s not going to rapidly cool you off after an intense workout or yard work in the hot sun, but it’s quite good for keeping you from feeling totally defenseless against overheating.”
To be honest, we had a bit of a love-hate relationship with the heat setting. While some of us were able to tolerate higher temperatures than others, we all agreed that the Wave became uncomfortably hot beyond the mid-range setting.
That said, we did find that the lower settings were great for anxiety. One of our team members began using it during their bedtime routine and found that it helped her fall asleep. It seems the Wave is perfect for winding down.
From Our Reviewers— “The Wave’s hot function is hot….like, very hot. Like, on even a 4/5 setting, it feels almost shockingly hot. Like “just touched a pan that came out of the oven” hot. So, I set my warming session to about a 2-2.5/5 and typically don’t go much higher than that, which means that it doesn’t necessarily do much for me when I’m feeling a little chilly.”
“I tried out using the warming session to get to sleep. I started it as I was getting ready for bed and continued as I laid down to sleep. I fell asleep so quickly and easily. I love incorporating it into a “wind down” routine, but it would be great if you could also program a “wake up” session, so I could get to sleep with a warming session and use a cooling session to wake me up!”
Our team was surprised to find that one of the Wave’s most impactful features had not really been advertised at all— anxiety relief. Without realizing it, each of us began using the Embr Wave to effectively combat anxiety and work stress throughout the day. Of course, it’s not going to cure your anxiety, but the temperature sessions do get your mind off the stress with just two touches of a button.
From Our Reviewers— “I really like to use both settings if I am feeling anxious, depending on what I feel like I need at that moment. To me, it’s like a “grounding” technique. If I am having those feelings where my heart is racing and things start to feel overwhelming, the cold burst helps bring me back. If I just feel like I need comfort, then I like the warming session because it sort of feels like going and laying down to rest or drinking something warm.”
While the Wave works well enough out of the box, the best features are unlocked through the Embr Wave 2 app, which we found to be quite good. The overall design of the app is not over-stimulating, plus it’s easy to make adjustments to your sessions and reprogram the buttons on the device to suit your own needs.
Of course, it may be more difficult to navigate for people who struggle with technology, but we found the instructions to be clear and helpful. So after an adjustment period, it should be fairly easy to navigate.
Our reviewers did note one common issue when using the app, specifically with connectivity. While it has not been a regular problem, each of us noted that the Wave lost connection to the app at one point during our three-week trial period.
The device itself did continue to function on its own during this time, meaning the hot and cold functions could still be turned on. We just temporarily lost access to the automated settings and thermal sessions. It took reading through the FAQs to troubleshoot the issue, but in the end, it was easy to resolve and has not been a problem since. That said,
From Our Reviewers— “The settings are easy to navigate, and you can even choose to dim or completely turn off the status light on your device if it disrupts your sleep.”
“I do wish that you could adjust the frequency of the waves on your presets, though. While I understand that the “point” of the wave is to intermittently stimulate your body with temperature spikes, it would be nice to have the option of constant warming or cooling or even reducing the time between waves.”
“I encountered one issue with the app. At one point, I opened the app to start a session, and it didn’t prompt me to connect my Wave, but it also did not inform me that the device was not connected. I selected a session, and it even allowed me to press “start session.” My only indication that it wasn’t connected was the session didn’t begin. But, I was able to go to the FAQs section, located in the support section of the app. By following their simple, well-documented instructions, I was able to get it reconnected and have not encountered the issue again.“
We found that the Wave could go days between charges, even after using the all-night setting at some points. Additionally, the battery has so far charged very quickly and could probably pack a full hour’s worth of moderate thermal therapy within just one 15-minute charge.
From Our Reviewers— “I continue to be incredibly impressed by the Wave’s battery life. I genuinely expected to get maybe 5 or 6 sessions out of a charge, but it seems that I can enjoy dozens of sessions across 2-3 days before I realistically need to charge the device. I used the all-night, 8-hour cooling function starting at 100% battery and still had 50% left in the morning, which lasted me the entire day thereafter.”
“When it does need to be charged, it happens so quickly that even 20-30 minutes of charging could probably get you through another day of sessions. Usually, I’ll put it on the charger and not think about it for an hour or so, and by the time I’m ready for another session, the Wave is sporting 80% battery or more from a starting charge of 10-15%.”
While some people on our team aren’t used to wearing watches regularly, we each found that it was pretty easy to adjust to wearing the Wave 2 on a daily basis. The band is comfortable to wear and easy to adjust, and while the device itself has some weight to it, it’s not so heavy that it becomes too heavy to wear.
While doing some research on the Embr Wave 2, we found that some reviewers seemed to dislike the original metal mesh band that is included with your initial purchase. One person mentioned that the band had caused her nickel allergy to flare up. However, Embr Labs now offers two other types of bands— one made of vegan leather and the other made with a nylon-based material, available for purchase separately.
From Our Reviewers— “I’m not a watch wearer, but it took me almost no time at all to get used to wearing the Wave. It’s incredibly easy to adjust the wristband if it’s too tight or too loose, and it is quite minimalistic on the wrist. As a PC gamer and someone who works from home full time, one of my concerns was that the Wave would get in the way of my laptop or keyboard, but with some smart positioning, it’s actually quite easy to keep the Wave out of the way while working and gaming.”
Admittedly, none of us have sought to test the limits of the Wave 2’s durability, we have so far found it to be resistant to day-to-day damage. Each of us works from a computer on a daily basis, and the Wave has not become scratched or dented after rubbing against our desks for several hours each day. One of our team members even wore it to the gym and had no issues!
The manufacturer states that the Embr Wave 2 is water-resistant. However, none of us have attempted to find out exactly how water resistant it actually is. So far, we have worn this device while washing our hands or doing dishes, and it seems to hold up well even after getting splashed on.
While it seems to be made of high-quality material, we do suggest taking your Wave off before participating in any activities that could get your device wet, scratched, or dented.
From Our Reviewers— “I’ve knocked the Wave on more hard surfaces than I care to admit, and it seems to hold up quite well. Obviously, I’m careful with it, as it is a sensitive electronic device, but I haven’t been shy with it either. It doesn’t seem to mind a reasonable level of daily abuse.”
The Embr Wave 2 is currently priced at $299, a reduction from its original price of $349. Considering its unique features and the comfort it provides, it could be seen as a good value for money for those who struggle with body temperature regulation.
However, we understand that not everyone can or even needs to spend that amount of money on personal comfort. Our team is in agreement that the price point is steep, but it could definitely be worth it if you struggle to sleep due to hot flashes or have other conditions that affect temperature regulation.
From Our Reviewers— “All in all, I don’t know that I’d personally pay $300 for it, maybe $180, but I do think that it’s worth $300 to the right audience. The tech is fun, useful, and interesting, and I’m certainly going to continue using it for the foreseeable future. While I don’t know that I would have purchased it for myself, I think it would be very cool to receive as a gift.”
Alternatives to the Embr Wave 2
While there are several ways to manage your own personal comfort, the Embr Wave 2 has few, if any, true competitors. There are other wearable devices on the market, such as the Sharper Image Hot Flash Cooling Bracelet. However, none have the range of benefits offered by the Wave 2.
The Embr Wave 2 stands out for its ability to choose a specific temperature range in both hot and cold settings. Additionally, its sleek, stylish design, size, and customizable features set it apart from any existing alternatives.
That said, if a wearable device isn’t quite your thing and you still want to control your personal comfort while in bed, we suggest looking into the ChiliSleep Dock Pro Sleep System by SleepMe. The ChiliSleep Dock Pro is a temperature-controlled mattress topper with all the bells and whistles you could possibly want to keep you comfortable while you sleep!
Our Final Verdict
From the customizable settings to tracking your comfort patterns, the Embr Wave 2 has a lot to offer for anyone looking to have a bit more control over their body temperature!
While it definitely won’t be replacing our air conditioner any time soon, we highly recommend this product to anyone who struggles with hot flashes. It has also proven to be highly effective in combating stress and anxiety. And whether you prefer to be hot or cold at night, the Wave makes falling asleep and staying asleep a whole lot easier!
The only factor that truly makes us hesitate is the price point. As much as our team enjoyed this product, $299 is a lot of money to spend on temperature control when you could just put on a sweater or place an ice pack over your wrist and likely get similar, albeit far more temporary, relief.
Our Bottom Line— If you highly prioritize personal comfort, need more control over your body temperature, and don’t mind spending the extra money, the Embr Wave 2 is worth a try!
Try the Embr Wave 2 For Yourself!
Interested in experiencing the benefits of the Embr Wave 2 for yourself? You can purchase it here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Embr Wave?
The Embr Wave is a watch-like temperature control device that sits against the inside of your wrist and manages mild to moderate changes in body temperature. It works by sending hot and/or cold sensations to your brain, which responds by cooling you off or warming you up. The Wave is designed to fight hot flashes, body chills, and night sweats.
Can Embr Wave Help With Menopause or Hot Flashes?
Yes, the Embr Wave was designed to help with menopause and hot flashes! Clinical research suggests that the Wave provides rapid relief from hot flashes and night sweats, helping you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
How Does the Embr Wave Affect Body Temperature if It’s on Your Wrist?
The Embr Wave works by stimulating the sensitive nerves located along the underside of the wrist. It uses thermal sensations to trigger your nervous system, which sends a message to your brain that you need to cool off or warm up. In response, your body adjusts its temperature from head to toe.
Is the Embr Wave Safe?
The Embr Wave is precisely calibrated to avoid temperatures that are dangerously hot or cold. While this device should warm you up, it should not cause you pain. That said, some people have more sensitive skin and may feel discomfort while using certain temperature settings. If you experience this issue, it may be best to stick to low-medium settings.
Do You Need to Own a Smartphone to Use the Embr Wave 2?
The Wave 2 can be operated completely without a smartphone connection. However, the Embr Wave 2 app lets you fully customize your sessions and lighting preferences. Without the app, you will not be able to track your thermal data, and you will lose the ability to fully customize your experience. It is also much easier to troubleshoot your device if you have access to the companion app.
What Technology Does the Embr Wave Use to Heat and Cool?
According to the Embr Labs site:
“Embr Wave uses something called a “thermoelectric module” to warm up or cool down. It’s essentially a heat exchanger, and it contains materials that get hot or cold when electricity is passed through them. Depending on the flow of the current, the Wave can get hot or cold. The electricity is generated by a rechargeable Li-ion battery.”
How Long Does the Embr Wave Battery Last Between Charges?
Embr Wave battery life depends on what you’re using the device for and how often you are using it. That said, Embr Labs has estimated that the battery should last between 3 to 15 hours, which may sound like a short amount of time but translates to up to 2 to 3 days of average use.
How Long Does It Take to Fully Recharge the Embr Wave 2 Battery?
According to the Embr Wave 2 Users Manual, the battery should reach full charge within 2 hours. That said, during our experience, a short fifteen-minute charge was enough to run the device for an hour.
Is Embr Wave 2 Waterproof?
No, Embr Wave 2 is only rated to be water-resistant! Do not wear it while showering, swimming, or participating in any activity wherein the device could become saturated with water. Unless you are putting your hands underwater, it should be safe to wash your hands while wearing this device.
Whether you’re looking to combat the summer heat or seeking cozy warmth in winter, the Embr Wave 2 is designed to provide relief when you need it most, even overnight! This device has a lot to offer thanks to its sleek design, customizable thermal sessions, and comfort tracking. And while the $299 price tag will probably turn some potential buyers away, this temperature control device is effective for those looking to combat mild to moderate temperature fluctuations!
For more information, visit the Embr Wave 2 product page.